With nearly six months in India complete, I'm preparing to return to Boston. I've already reconfirmed the flight for April 9th. It's amazing how fast time really flies. My perspective on education, social development and respect for others has been strengthened by what I've seen and done. My intentions for coming to India were simply to help as needed and to educate children. I have fully gone above and beyond anything that I set forth. Two of the most important things I've done at this school are: Teaching compassion and creating a safer environment for the students.
Dogs, Cows, Buffalo's and just about everything in between are just so disrespected. I did not and still do not consider myself a lover of animals but rather a lover of respect... Kicking a dog just because; dumping hot liquid on a cows head to get them to move; seriously violating a horse via stick to make it go faster is just fully unacceptable! Fred just happened to me. I did not go out looking for a dog to live at the school. She came up to me time after time after time, desperately wanting to be loved, respected and to be cared for. I gave her (and now her puppies) a loving and safe environment. Teaching the children the value for her was challenging. They could see the passion in my actions and began to copy me. Modeling how to interact with dogs became a side mission of mine. If I allowed a "once" street dog to live at that the school and someone got hurt, it could turn into a huge problem. In any case, Fred is so insanely gentle and would not, could not hurt any one at this school. She is so aware of the comings and goings and only gets upset (meaning barking) if someone or something enters the school without permission from a worker. Teaching the kids how to pet, play with and feed puppies was a whole new challenge. Fred is older and much more relaxed, the puppies are full of energy and want to play with everyone they see. Okay so I'm rambling here..... Once validation that I know I've successfully taught compassion is; a neighboring school bus hit and killed another dog. The hostel kids were sitting on the front steps of the school and watched it. They came running to me to tell me. Some of the boys were so upset that they were crying and some other ones were worried that, that might happen to Fred or the puppies. They told me that we should have the gate closed so Fred and the puppies don't go out.
The second most important thing I've done at the school is creating an overall safer school for the children. Removing the school vans from the center of the playing field, cleaning up the construction waste and actually getting through to some teachers that it's not okay for them to hit/beat/smack ANY child.
With teaching compassion and creating a safer school, my time at this school was a success. I'm ready for quietness, actual fresh air, different food (due to the kitchen being down right gross, I've pretty much eaten only packaged food for six months), a paycheck and less frustrations for a while.
I could not think of any other way to have spent my time in India. I've built strong relationships with many people at the school and if they ever figure out how to actually use and have access to the internet, perhaps we'll connect again.
The last week and a half are spent in Bangalore... Finishing up some last minute shopping, packing, planning and celebrating. I will be hosting a dinner party at my house in Newton around the end of April/ beginning of May, you're all welcome to come. More info on that later!!
Dogs, Cows, Buffalo's and just about everything in between are just so disrespected. I did not and still do not consider myself a lover of animals but rather a lover of respect... Kicking a dog just because; dumping hot liquid on a cows head to get them to move; seriously violating a horse via stick to make it go faster is just fully unacceptable! Fred just happened to me. I did not go out looking for a dog to live at the school. She came up to me time after time after time, desperately wanting to be loved, respected and to be cared for. I gave her (and now her puppies) a loving and safe environment. Teaching the children the value for her was challenging. They could see the passion in my actions and began to copy me. Modeling how to interact with dogs became a side mission of mine. If I allowed a "once" street dog to live at that the school and someone got hurt, it could turn into a huge problem. In any case, Fred is so insanely gentle and would not, could not hurt any one at this school. She is so aware of the comings and goings and only gets upset (meaning barking) if someone or something enters the school without permission from a worker. Teaching the kids how to pet, play with and feed puppies was a whole new challenge. Fred is older and much more relaxed, the puppies are full of energy and want to play with everyone they see. Okay so I'm rambling here..... Once validation that I know I've successfully taught compassion is; a neighboring school bus hit and killed another dog. The hostel kids were sitting on the front steps of the school and watched it. They came running to me to tell me. Some of the boys were so upset that they were crying and some other ones were worried that, that might happen to Fred or the puppies. They told me that we should have the gate closed so Fred and the puppies don't go out.
The second most important thing I've done at the school is creating an overall safer school for the children. Removing the school vans from the center of the playing field, cleaning up the construction waste and actually getting through to some teachers that it's not okay for them to hit/beat/smack ANY child.
With teaching compassion and creating a safer school, my time at this school was a success. I'm ready for quietness, actual fresh air, different food (due to the kitchen being down right gross, I've pretty much eaten only packaged food for six months), a paycheck and less frustrations for a while.
I could not think of any other way to have spent my time in India. I've built strong relationships with many people at the school and if they ever figure out how to actually use and have access to the internet, perhaps we'll connect again.
The last week and a half are spent in Bangalore... Finishing up some last minute shopping, packing, planning and celebrating. I will be hosting a dinner party at my house in Newton around the end of April/ beginning of May, you're all welcome to come. More info on that later!!
No comments:
Post a Comment