India

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Bangalore to Delhi to Kerala


So much has happened since my last posting.  I’ve run into some computer problems.  First, I brought my Xoom tablet to India (big mistake) and secondly, blogspot had some sort of problem/freeze that could not be corrected on the tablet. Well, I’ll try to sum up the past month in a few postings. 

As other posting said that I started out in Bangalore.  I really enjoyed Bangalore!  I met some pretty cool people there.  I’m looking forward to returning to Bangalore for a week or more before my return to Boston in early April.  I was able to travel around a bit while there.  I went to Mysore to see the most amazing palace!!! Then another day I went on a temple/architectural tour to Belaru.   Both trips were fun.  The second trip had a really horrible bus driver with two HORNS! What’s the instance that one vehicle would ever, EVER require two horns! I still can’t think of one example that having two would be required.  To sum up Bangalore in 10 words or less: dogs, polio, really great food, first motorcycle ride (ever), rain (Monsoon)! Okay so 11 words or less.

I first flew up to Delhi on the 7th of November to visit the school and to drop off some of my stuff.  I was so surprised with the school.  Children as young as two and three sitting for hours in a dark room with the windows closed, looking at a blackboard and pretending to do school work in workbooks.  No books, toys or anything interesting to do.  I was very surprised and knew right away some changes I would make.  I spent the night at the school.  It turned into an interesting night that I never wish to repeat again.  I went to bed around 10:30 and about 12:15 I felt something on me and touch it and it squeaked.  I freaked out and jumped up on top of the bed.  With my headlamp on, I could see so many R-A-T-S! Oh my goodness! I grabbed my shoes from atop the bed and ran out of the room.  Everyone at the school was asleep and no one could be woken up so I spent the rest of the night being eaten alive by mosquitoes while sitting in a school van until someone woke.   5:30 took forever to come.  I survived but don’t wish to repeat this experience.   While on this trip to Delhi, Manish (the owner of the school) arranged a driver and the assistant to bring me around to some sites of the city.  We went to India Gate, Gandhi’s death place, an old fort near the zoo and on a paddle boat ride.  It was a fun day. At India Gate, they were having a kite festival. Wow, I wish I had known as I would have spent so much more time there.  I took a lot of pictures so hopefully I can figure out how to actually post some.  One of my contacts lives at the American Embassy.  I spent 3 nights with her and her family.  Being on the Embassy grounds was like being back in America.  No monkeys, no trash, no horn honking and it was so GREEN!   There was a nice field with all white children frolicking about, playing with Nurf guns and baseballs. It was wonderful being there for a few days but I’m ready for “real” India. Sidenote- Beds in India are seriously HARD as a rock however; the bed at the Embassy was so nice, soft in the right spots and American.  I got some great sleep those nights.

Next, Kerala!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment