Seriously? Two months already? It's amazing that time is going so seriously fast. In two months, I've covered more than 10,000 kilometers (6213 miles), have been to 8 states and have spent more money than originally planned for. Good thing the next 3 and a half months I'll be based at the school and will be going on school related travels. Highlights of the past two months:
Bangalore-I felt the most at home while there. Met a very handsome and kind man named Sanjay in Bangalore.
Kerala would have been better if I was not sick pretty much the whole time. I would love to stay on a houseboat again but with a group of people. Ladies- I am calling a girls weekend in Kerala!!!
Delhi- I have spent most of my time in the Delhi area. Delhi is not on my list of favorites thus far. My experiences have been smelly (MUCH more than other places I've been too), foggy/smoggy and down right dirty. I've met a few kind people but as a whole, people in Delhi are seriously rude! The teenage children seem to be the worst. One redeeming quality about Delhi is the Metro. The trains are really clean, nice and they have two separate train compartments for ladies only. Its very easy and CHEAP to get around with the metro. Traveling distances by trains is also very easy and cheap.
Khajuraho- Kama Sutra temples. Need I say more? Lol. The temples were really nice. I spent Christmas viewing the temples. I stayed in a very nice hotel thanks to a friend of Sanjays.
Greater Noida/Dardi/Bishara- Staying at the school is a very rich experience for me. I would not have said before this experience, that I grew up in and was educated in a super high class or even classy environment. However, witnessing first hand the lack of simple, basic, seriously kindergarten basic, common sense has made me appreciate my roots and background in a whole new light. I've stood over top of a 40+ year old kitchen lady to make sure she washed her hand and that she used soap. I've walked into a classroom full of children on a chilly day to open the windows so the children were not sitting in the dark. (the school does not have electricity so sunlight is necessary in order to see in the classrooms). The list could just go on and on. I say that the staff and teachers are perpetually 5 year old kindergartners that need consistent supervision and guidance! This is definitely not a one person job!
I've thought a lot about what I packed and what I could have done different. As a whole, I came adequately prepared for the weather, illnesses and alike. However, I still wish I would have packed my laptop and not brought the tablet. All my techy friends will be disappointed to learn that the only thing I'm using the tablet for is to charge my blackberry. (My wall charger broke about 2 weeks after my arrival). And occasionally I listen to music.
My top 10 packing list items:
-bugshield sleeping sack
-hand sanitizer
-REI fleece
-head lamp
-outlet converter
-winter socks
-Nature Valley peanut butter granola bars
-10 pairs of underwear (I hand wash all my clothes but since it's winter here, things take days to dry.)
-Chaco sandles
-toilet paper
5 things I could have left in Boston and saved space and weight in my pack:
-swimsuit
-slash proof cage for pack (I could have saved money in addition to the added weight)
-rain jacket
-water purifiers
-tablet
Next adventure: New Years in the Himalayas! I'm very excited about this trip. I'll see S-N-O-W in India.
Bangalore-I felt the most at home while there. Met a very handsome and kind man named Sanjay in Bangalore.
Kerala would have been better if I was not sick pretty much the whole time. I would love to stay on a houseboat again but with a group of people. Ladies- I am calling a girls weekend in Kerala!!!
Delhi- I have spent most of my time in the Delhi area. Delhi is not on my list of favorites thus far. My experiences have been smelly (MUCH more than other places I've been too), foggy/smoggy and down right dirty. I've met a few kind people but as a whole, people in Delhi are seriously rude! The teenage children seem to be the worst. One redeeming quality about Delhi is the Metro. The trains are really clean, nice and they have two separate train compartments for ladies only. Its very easy and CHEAP to get around with the metro. Traveling distances by trains is also very easy and cheap.
Khajuraho- Kama Sutra temples. Need I say more? Lol. The temples were really nice. I spent Christmas viewing the temples. I stayed in a very nice hotel thanks to a friend of Sanjays.
Greater Noida/Dardi/Bishara- Staying at the school is a very rich experience for me. I would not have said before this experience, that I grew up in and was educated in a super high class or even classy environment. However, witnessing first hand the lack of simple, basic, seriously kindergarten basic, common sense has made me appreciate my roots and background in a whole new light. I've stood over top of a 40+ year old kitchen lady to make sure she washed her hand and that she used soap. I've walked into a classroom full of children on a chilly day to open the windows so the children were not sitting in the dark. (the school does not have electricity so sunlight is necessary in order to see in the classrooms). The list could just go on and on. I say that the staff and teachers are perpetually 5 year old kindergartners that need consistent supervision and guidance! This is definitely not a one person job!
I've thought a lot about what I packed and what I could have done different. As a whole, I came adequately prepared for the weather, illnesses and alike. However, I still wish I would have packed my laptop and not brought the tablet. All my techy friends will be disappointed to learn that the only thing I'm using the tablet for is to charge my blackberry. (My wall charger broke about 2 weeks after my arrival). And occasionally I listen to music.
My top 10 packing list items:
-bugshield sleeping sack
-hand sanitizer
-REI fleece
-head lamp
-outlet converter
-winter socks
-Nature Valley peanut butter granola bars
-10 pairs of underwear (I hand wash all my clothes but since it's winter here, things take days to dry.)
-Chaco sandles
-toilet paper
5 things I could have left in Boston and saved space and weight in my pack:
-swimsuit
-slash proof cage for pack (I could have saved money in addition to the added weight)
-rain jacket
-water purifiers
-tablet
Next adventure: New Years in the Himalayas! I'm very excited about this trip. I'll see S-N-O-W in India.
No comments:
Post a Comment